Heating and Cooling
Many laboratory processes and experiments require that samples or specimens be heated or cooled to a specific temperature, boiled, cooled or frozen, or have their temperature otherwise altered or manipulated. It is necessary to use the proper equipment to produce the desired temperatures ─ most of these products are designed for specific purposes.
- Microbiological and CO2 incubators maintain the temperature of a large group of specimens; may also control the humidity or atmosphere
- Water baths are used to contain test tubes, beakers, and other vessels that can be easily surrounded by the water or other heating liquid
- Circulators and chillers heat or cool water or other liquids; the liquids are then transferred via tubing to another location or device to affect a remote process
- Refrigerators cool and maintain substances within a specific temperature range, typically of 2° to 8°C; available in a variety of sizes, shapes and configurations
- Freezers cool and maintain substances within a specific temperature range, typically down to -20°C and as low as -80°C; available in a variety of sizes, shapes and configurations
- Liquid nitrogen (LN2) storage containers are insulated to contain LN2 to freeze and store samples (typically around -196°C)
- Dry bath (block) incubators may have interchangeable heating blocks with multiple openings of specific diameters to accommodate various tube sizes
- Stirring and non-stirring hotplates use a heated surface to affect the temperature of a liquid ; vessels must be flat-bottomed; may include a stirring mechanism to keep the liquid in motion
- Ovens may use gravity or convectional heating methods to maintain a constant temperature, typically in a range from ambient to 250°C
- Furnaces heat to temperatures from 1100° to as high as 1800°C ; used for baking, bonding, annealing, ashing and other high-temperature processes
- Heaters and heating mantles are used to heat irregularly shaped vessels and other items; include flexible mantles, heating tapes and mats, and immersion heaters
Precise Control for Critical Samples
Fisher Scientific offers incubators that maintain optimal temperatures and vital conditions for work within all areas of cell biology, microbiology and molecular biology. Our collection features options that meet your requirements for growing and maintaining microbiological and cell cultures, and includes compact Fisher Scientific? Isotemp? Incubators.
Hotplates, Stirring Hotplates, Shakers and Rockers
From Basic to Advanced
Fisher Scientific provides an extensive offering of benchtop hot plates. Options include basic models for general use, like the Fisher Scientific? RT2 Digital Hotplate, as well as advanced options that feature integrated stirrers and digital temperature displays and controllers, like the Fisher Scientific? RT2 Advanced Hotplate Stirrer.
You can also find shaking incubators that mix, shake or agitate substances in flasks, beakers and test tubes. Choose from floor models or those that fit on a benchtop, including the Corning? LSE? Shaking Incubator that features a built-in orbital shaker.
Ovens and Furnaces
Turn Up the Heat
Fisher Scientific offers a wide variety of laboratory ovens and furnaces for applications throughout the healthcare and education sectors. Our collection includes furnaces that provide higher temperatures than general laboratory ovens, including the Thermo Scientific? Thermolyne Benchtop Muffle Furnace.